Okay, friends. This is a game-changing recipe.
Right before I went all in on the vegan diet one year ago, I was eating over-easy eggs or scrambled eggs almost daily. It was really hard for me to give them up. But I knew I couldn’t start a vegan website if I was eating eggs, so I sacrificed my delicious breakfast sandwiches for the greater good.
In a years time, I’ve figured out that pan-fried tofu with the right spices and condiments tastes exactly like the eggs I ate on the daily . Plus, there’s no cholesterol in this breakfast sandwich! Woohoo!
- Extra firm tofu (organic if possible)
- Vegan breakfast sausage (I used Light Life brand Meatless veggie sausage)
- Vegan cheese (Daiya cheddar works well or Miyoko's Vegan Mozzerella)
- 2 slices of bread
- 1-2 Tbsp vegan mayo
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp garlic poweder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Place two slices of bread in toaster and cook until lightly browned.
- While bread is toasting, remove tofu from package and drain excess water. Place tofu on a clean towel and press to remove excess moisture.
- Turn frying pan on medium low heat (you can add oil to the pan to help with sticking or go oil-free if you prefer!)
- Slice tofu into 1/2 inch thick slices, and place on heated frying pan.
- Sprinkle on half of the amount of garlic powder, turmeric powder*, paprika, salt and pepper. Let tofu cook on each side until browned (about 4-5 minutes). Flip over and add remaining spices. Cook 4-5 more minutes. Keep warm in the oven.
- Slice vegan sausage into patties and brown both sides.
- Add vegan mayo and mustard to toast. Place cheese, tofu and vegan sausage onto toast.
- *Whenever you use turmeric (fresh or powder), ALWAYS add a little bit of black pepper. The oil in pepper activates the beneficial qualities of turmeric and makes it 2,000x more bio-avaliable to our bodies!